Welcome to VC Meudon News pages

The South East Champs De Crown

The crown has gone but this will only make me hungrier for next year.

After a cool night and hoping for a dry fast/frozen course.
When arriving to the course in Dartford - the conclusion was not quite a shit fest - more clag mile. Look after the equipment, don't use big gears tickle the changes. Mud tubs straight away. It's great going to a race with a Jetwash - borrowed from Andy Dilkes (cheers mate). Two bikes - 5 pairs of wheels, 2 children, 1 wife and the dog. Try and get that lot in a Porsche!!!

Keith "Pitbitch" and I were discussing the team tactics - maybe a bike change every couple of laps. Luckily I have a loud tone so was able to instruct Keith on my intentions through the race.

The race started well I put the hammer down from the gun - Eelmore style.
The only way. My first lap was my fastest 6 mins 11. Had I gone to fast to - err yes.

Good gap on main rivals from Artic. My main buddy Jody Crawforth chooses not to enter or I "forget" to tell him when the closing date passes.
A tactic I had learnt when I rode elsewhere- he is terrible in entering races!!
So I had Matt Holmes and Darren Barlclay (last years silver medal) to race instead for the title.

Matt seemed to be a little off the pace - but Darren was going well. I heard a rumour he was riding a bank where I was choosing to run. I should brush up on my skills - no doubt!!!

I had a good 20 sec gap. Then a stumble - Darren catches up. Then as I try to get back on terms. A rear puncture - luckily tubs - you can ride on rim ok and the pits are only a few seconds away. Keith was blasting the crap off my spare bike when I "enquired" about a change of machine.

I few seconds lost on the slow speed of the puncture was all the motivation Barclay needed. The hammer went down my legs screamed this was it- race on.

Cross races are only 1 hour and they are full on - No gentle "I will pick off rivals later" - you go as fast as you can, blow and then hope you get to the finish.

Darren was holding me at 20 secs - I was giving it everything. Keith was doing a wicked job looking after me in those pits. Cross is a two man race - rider and bitch. The guys with only one bike and no helpers are at such a disadvantage when it get shitty!!


I could not get back on terms. The time was running out and my legs were exploding. Where was third? - just don't look round. The title was gone - silver does not look as good! That's the best I can get today.

Thanks to all - Keith did a great job, although I hope he comes back from France - the jeans are wrecked and the boots - well trodden!!.
Jules for letting me get away with the 3am feed sunday so I could "rest up".
Andy for the jetwash - we need to work on a dustbin with a plug!!!

Cross its great - I am going to do another one this weekend in the midlands, you should try it!!!!

Jamie
- ex South East Cyclo Cross Champ 2005 and 2007 - maybe 09 could be my year again

Thanks to London Cycle Sport and John Mullineaux for the pictures. (currently at www.cycleweb.co.uk)

No comments: