Welcome to VC Meudon News pages

Josh wins at Hillingdon

Here's Josh's report from last weekend's Hillingdon race:
" My third week at Hillingdon and I only needed one point to achieve 3rd cat status. The following week I had finished 10th after trying to go for the win solo, and blowing up before the line and being swamped by people sprinting passed.
It was a very windy day at Hillingdon on Sunday, with there not really being a tailwind any where on the circuit, except for a slight tailing wind off the left hand side up the finishing straight.
The race started at a furious pace and after only about five minute the peloton split. A leading group of nine people, including me had broken away and quickly gained a large amount of time between the rest. With the wind being so strong it was pretty much impossible for anyone to jump across the gap. After we pulled out a gap of over a minute, many of the bunch dropped out leaving us, the break, away and a few other stragglers in the race.
I knew that as long as I finished now I would gain the point I needed and move up into Cat 3.
Not much really happened for the remainder of the race, as a few people tried to break away, but no one would let them. The final lap came fairly quickly and I knew that I had to be in the top 3 positions.
I managed to get onto second wheel round the final bend. The climb up to the finish line started and the man on the front started his sprint. I followed, and looking behind there was already a gap between us and the other 7. I then made my move. I went passed him with surprising ease and kept pushing hard for the line. At the kink in the road I looked behind to see a gap of around 7 or 8 bike lenghts and knew I would not be caught. I kept pushing hard for the line and won by around 10 bike lengths.

Finally after my mishap last week I can now move up to Cat 3 with a bit more experience and a win under my belt.
Josh "

1 comment:

Stefan Thunberg said...

Nice victory and good writing. I will from now follow you and your rides.