Welcome to VC Meudon News pages

Results - 1st VCM win of season

A glorious Gibbo reports back from the Barcombe Surrey League RR:



On the first lap when I saw the uphill finish I was confident that if I
kept my fingers-crossed for long enough I could get a result. My
strategy was to save myself, hope that no one got away and go for it
early up the finish hill. It was my lucky day, a tough circuit with a
small field and riders going out the back rather than off the front,
just the way I like it. The bunch eroded to approx 20 riders with me
tucked in on the back for most of the way. During the race I'd been
checking out the road surface up the hill as it was a bit rough, I was
worried because being so light I bounce and lose drive quite easily.
Arriving at the finish with approx 600yds to go, I launched myself up
the hill on my chosen route through the water in the left gutter. I
looked around at the yellow flag to see a gap so dug-in. Approaching
the line someone shouted "put your hands up then" but no way was I going to ease off until I had crossed the line. Mission accomplished, 1st place in the bag and finally, whooping for breath, a fist in the air.


So thanks to all of you, who waited for me, encouraged me and helped
beat me into some form of shape over the winter.



Meanwhile the previous day Craig Wilson continued his good form at the Henfold Hill Surrey League 2/3:



A team of 4 VCM's (Colin Addison, Mark Bremner, Ben Macland and Craig Wilson) started the Addiscombe 2/3 at Henfold Hill on Saturday. The 60 mile race had 80 starters and made for an impressive sight as the bunch careered through the Surrey lanes. The strong winds and later rain made it tough going with echelons forming on the crosswind sections much to the delight of Keith Brooks the commissaire, passing motorists and the local community support officers.
At half distance the tough conditions were starting to show with splits appearing in the bunch and with 3 laps to go the race split with Craig Wilson managing to slip into the front group of 16.
Ben Mac and Colin Addison marshalled the bunch effectively but unfortunately at this stage Mark Bremner added to his impressive collection of punctures and packed . With a lap to go the break had a 1 minute plus lead but the bunch was stopped by a Mad Max move from the local policeman in his panda car who didn't realise that the Tour of Flanders had come to Surrey. With the bunch disqualified the break fought out the finish with Surrey League big hitter Ben Wilson jumping away in the last 3 miles to win. Craig managed to finish 6th overall in the uphill sprint 10 seconds down.

No comments: