Welcome to VC Meudon News pages

Bob says 'Ride the Boards'

Bob Moore encourages everyone to test the Track ....

It was in March earlier this year that I had the chance to go to Newport for a track taster session with the High Wycombe CC, it seemed an opportunity not to be missed.

I had ridden at Calshot a couple of times in the mid 70's but I couldn't really remember the details, I was a 'tester' back then so the 'Pangbourne Lane' had much more interest to me.

At Newport I was a bit apprehensive for a few laps but every lap seemed to bring a bit more confidence and enjoyment.
Before long you'll be circling at the top of the track, skimming the barriers and swooshing down the banking.
I can't describe how brilliant it feels to be ripping around the track in a string of riders, it is fantastic!

Basic rules for safe riding are the same as riding on the road, avoid overlapping wheels, look behind before pulling out, point out the pot holes.... I made the last bit up... and just go for it.

Since then Andy Grant and myself have both been down to Newport for a couple of Vets training sessions and are totally hooked on the 'boards', and just when I thought it couldn't get any better I went back to Calshot, 33 years after the first visit.
Imagine a Pinball Machine, pull back the spring and fire the steel ball bearing straight up the guide track, the ball bearing shoots around the curve at the top and, ...... thats what Calshot feels like, but twice every lap!!

Andy is organising a track session with coaching at Newport on Saturday January 10th and he has a few spaces left, it could be just the boost you need to kick-start the 09 season... to miss it will be to miss out!

To get the most from the hire bikes it may be worth fixing up a pair of road shoes with Look Delta shoe plates(old style).Newport Track hire bikes have Delta pedals but they do not allow pedal removal for other systems.
The alternative is trainers and Newport Tracks toe clip attachment that fixes to the Delta pedals

Bob

No comments: