Welcome to VC Meudon News pages

Josh's Junior Tour of Bristol

If you were wondering what Josh was up to, he decided to choose a national series event for his first ever (non-circuit) road race. Here's how he got on jumping in at the deep end:

"Day one consisted of 8 laps of a 13km circuit around a lake. It was a relatively flat course with one notable, but short climb. I did not know what to expect, as it was my first road race, and have never ridden with another junior rider :(
A field of around 80 riders turned out. The race started very fast, with the first two laps averaging about 32mph. There was a break away, but with the peleton moving at such high speeds, it was not going to last. I felt very comfortable throughout the stage, trying to keep a good position near the front.
At one point of the course we came down off the only hill, where our legs were spinning out at 40mph with the gear restrictions. Someone hit a catseye and flipped over the bike, whilst we were all lucky to avoid him, his bike was demolished.

The pace really picked up for the final lap, as a break group had just shot off the front and quickly gained 30 secs with no one really wanting to chase. I was in the perfect position, around three back for the final lap. The sprint opened up and I finished in the top of the main bunch, with only a 30 sec defecit to the break four. All in all a good day.

Day 2:
The second day was a very different type of course. Including 5 very demanding climbs. All night I had not felt well, did not get a good sleep. The stage was to consist of 80km ( shortened at last minute) in the Mendip hills. I was experiencing slight stomach cramps just before the race and it did not get much better. I managed to stay with the lead group until 20km to go, where I got blown off on a climb. I did not feel good, and threw up twice, on the move.

Managed to haul myself round once more, and up the climb before almost passing out. Not what I had planned, and still do not know the cause of all this.

Really good race though, and am even hungrier thanks to it."

No comments: