Welcome to VC Meudon News pages

Michael romps to solo victory

Ian Franklin reports back for the first time it didn't finish in a bunch gallop:

"VC Meudon 4th cats at Dunsfold
MUDPLUGGER WINS

A windy evening took it's toll at Dunsfold but it was dry. 39 riders lined up and on lap two 12 riders including 4 Meudons opened up a small gap with Tom Hicks the last to make it across.
Much as I wanted to get up there I wasn't going to jeopardise their chances by helping any of the 27 strong bunch to get across so I sat on everything. By lap four the break had a commanding lead and I was surprised to see my group of 27 reduced to 12.
I was hopeful that with 4 Meudons up front we could pull something out of the bag. And so the guys did: With two laps to go Michael Guilford soloed off the front never to be caught. William Lane took the sprint for second with Simon Laws fifth. Unfortunately Tom Hicks's saddle came loose and he had to retire.
In my group of eight scrapping for twelfth place I came thirteenth or fourteenth. Phil Masters also rode but was lapped. Colin Stevens DNF Dan Smith, where were you?
39 starters - 19-20 finishers
Michael and Will have both got their 3rd cat now and Simon only needs one more point.
The racing is of much better quality than last year when I had four or five 6th places. I can't get anywhere near that this year.

Ian Franklin"

Here's Michael's report:

"3rd Cat finally wooh!

My one and only experience of Dunsfold....

A bit of blowey course, a small bunch and a bit of a chill in the air. The riding was smooth and gentle for most of the race, with a portion of the bunch disappearing early on. With a small bunch of 20 or so most people were doing a turn on the front, I got told off for speeding up on my turn (tut tut!). so I did my best to sit at the back and look at planes for most of the race. Two laps two go, time for the break. I got a reasonable distance and just about managed to stick it out to the end, by kidding myself i was riding uphill.

Again, an allround success for The Meudon at Dunsfold with quite a few in the top 10."

Michael then followed that up with a bit of mountainbiking:


"Southern XC Series Rd 4.

Havent got much to say about the race today. Other than it was pretty confusing. For the whole race I had no idea where I was within the Sport field, except when i clipped my bars on a tree landing me in last place. The course was mostly singletrack but not that windey, I need to miraculously stop making stupid mistakes before next week.

I rolled in on the third lap and couldnt work out whether I had finished or where i had placed, as no one else was around. I didnt know I had won untill called up to the podium. Still more improvement needed to win the nationals."

No comments: